Get urgent helpPlease be aware we are not a monitored service and cannot provide crisis intervention. If you need urgent help, please seek it now. These numbers and websites only work if you're in Aotearoa, New Zealand.
Emergency - Call 111
If you or someone you know is talking about suicide, is unsafe or in an emergency situation, please call 111 now.
For helpful information on supporting someone else who is in immediate risk of suicide visit this page.
Don't wait. If you need to talk to someone if you're feeling overwhelmed and hopeless, always remember to reach out to a trusted friend, family or whānau member - sharing our problems or feelings with others does help.
If you need to talk to someone right away, please contact one of the following helplines:
- Free call or text 1737 any time, 24 hours a day. You'll get to talk to (or text with) a trained counsellor
- Lifeline - 0800 543 354 or text HELP (4357) for free, 24/7, confidential support - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Mental Health Crisis Line - find your local DHB Mental Health crisis team contact number
- Suicide Crisis Helpline - 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO)
- Youthline - 0800 376 633 or free text 234
- What's Up - 0800 942 8787 (for 5-18-year-olds and available 11am-11pm Monday-Sunday. There is also an online chat available 11am-10.30pm Monday-Sunday)
- Depression Helpline - 0800 111 757 or free text 4202 to talk to a trained counsellor
- Anxiety helpline - 0800 ANXIETY - 24/7 free and confidential support
- OUTLine NZ - 0800 688 5463 - A free and confidential support line for the LGBTIQ+ community & for anyone questioning their gender identity and/or sexual orientation
- Healthline - 0800 611 116 - to speak to a registered nurse
- Asian Helpline - 0800 862 342
- Samaritans helpline - 0800 726 666
Not sure, but not feeling right?
If it's not urgent but you feel like you might need help with some health issues, your doctor is a great person to talk to.
Give them a call and make an appointment. They're there to help.
For more information on warning signs of suicide or guidance in how to help someone at risk of suicide go to Help give hope
Not in Aotearoa, New Zealand? In an emergency, ring these numbers:
In Australia, call 911, 000 or 112 (112 can only be dialled on a digital mobile phone).
In Samoa, the Cook Islands and Niue, call 999
In Tonga, call 999 or 911
In Fiji and Tuvalu, call 911